Senior Systems Engineer (Rust) - EDR
The Nomic Foundation is a non-profit behind Hardhat, the most widely used Ethereum development environment. We’re dedicated to building open-source infrastructure and tools that empower Ethereum developers to decentralize the world while fostering growth and innovation in the developer ecosystem.
We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to join the team behind EDR - an Ethereum development runtime library - written in Rust - with bindings for the Node API (TypeScript). Its goal is to provide a performant API for developer tooling, such as an EVM debugger or state inspector. We are planning our first release in the upcoming months, which will be a complete rewrite of the Hardhat Network TypeScript code and will continue to expand its features to serve a wider range of developers.
This is a fully-remote role, and we’re open to candidates applying within UTC+1 to UTC-4 timezones.
In this role, you will:
- Design APIs that take into account the needs of a large and diverse ecosystem
- Maintain and implement low-level functionality that works directly with EVM bytecode
- Support and mentor other developers on the team
- Practice good open-source hygiene
- Node.js / N-API
- Ethereum / EVM
The skills we look for:
- At least 5 years of experience working on systems software
- 2+ years of working with Rust
- We work remotely and mostly asynchronously, so the ability to take ownership and work with minimal direction is crucial
- As this is an early-stage project, we are seeking a teammate who is comfortable adapting to changing requirements
- Prior experience working in a remote and globally-distributed environment
- High sense of ownership and responsibility
Why is this an exciting opportunity?
- You’ll have a chance to work on a core component of the Ethereum stack and support the entire Ethereum ecosystem to be more productive
- Contribute to Ethereum as a project
- Service the needs of high-profile projects that use Hardhat
- All of your work will be open-source, and you’ll have the chance to collaborate with other open-source projects (both inside and outside Ethereum)