Distributed Protocol Engineer
Status is building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3.
With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community.
As a product, Status is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, transact, and access a revolutionary world of DApps on the decentralized web. But Status is also building foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem, including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol (a continuation of Whisper).
As a team, Status has been completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 150+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
We’re a diverse team of experienced researchers and engineers scattered around the world working at the intersection of P2P networks and bleeding-edge Zero Knowledge technology. We’re building the next generation storage engine that attempts to “untie the knot” of incentivized storage. Our goal is to deliver a more advanced decentralized storage protocol that pushes the state of the art of decentralized storage solutions forward. We’re looking for an experienced p2p networking engineer with hands-on experience designing and implementing state of the art networking protocols and distributed systems.
- Design, implement and maintain state of the art p2p protocols and decentralized storage solutions
- Coordinate with the ongoing testing efforts to identify and eliminate instabilities in the existing codebase and bring it to production levels quality
- Implement and design new features as part of roadmap milestones
You ideally will have
- Strong academic or engineering background (PhD-level or equivalent in industry); relevant research experience
- Experience with low level libp2p primitives
- Experience with low level/strongly typed languages (C/C++/Go/Rust or Java/C#)
- Experience with Open Source software
- Keen communicator, eager to share your work in a wide variety of contexts, like internal and public presentations, blog posts and academic papers
- Strong networking (P2P systems) background
- Good debugging skills
- Good at explaining a complicated issue at varying levels of complexity for others to understand
- Experience in, and passion for, blockchain technology
- A strong alignment to our principles
Bonus points if
- Familiarity with the Nim programming language
- Familiarity with zero-knowledge proofs and other ZK-technology
- Familiarity with advanced cryptographic hashing functions
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role. Just explain to us why in your cover letter]
- Interview with People Ops team
- Interview with Codex team member
- Technical Task
- Interview with Codex team member
- Interview with Codex Program Lead
The expected compensation range for this role is $120,000 - $150,000 (negotiable, dependent on how we assess your skills and experience throughout our interview process). We are happy to pay in any mix of fiat/crypto.