Software Engineer (React Native Library)
Status is building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3.
With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community.
As a product, Status is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, transact, and access a revolutionary world of DApps on the decentralized web. But Status is also building foundational infrastructure for the whole Ethereum ecosystem, including the Nimbus ETH 1.0 and 2.0 clients, the Keycard hardware wallet, and the Waku messaging protocol (a continuation of Whisper).
As a team, Status has been completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 150+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
We are building Waku as a public good infrastructure. Waku is the messaging layer of Web3.
It is a decentralized, censorship-resistant, privacy-preserving communication network that enables anyone to send and receive messages without worrying about surveillance or deplatforming.
We are developing 3 open source implementations of Waku:
- Nwaku: the reference implementation and service node
- Js-waku: for the browser
- Go-waku: to integrate as a library in native applications
We are enabling Ethereum builders to create new projects with a fully decentralized architecture, think dApp to Wallet notifications, NFT marketplaces, censorship-resistant chat, layer-2 decentralization and more.
We are looking for a Software Engineer who is passionate about Ethereum, and decentralization. And who would relish the opportunity to champion Waku to other Web3 projects and developers.
- Design, implement and document Waku Golang libraries (go-waku)
- Maintain, improve, troubleshoot Waku React Native, the React Native wrapper of go-waku
- Implement new protocols as defined by the Research Team
- Investigate and fix issues in go-waku and upstream libraries such as go-libp2p
- Optimize go-waku and upstream libraries for the mobile/React Native
- Support dApp developers in using go-waku and Waku Golang libraries
You ideally will have
- Experience building applications with complex logic, cutting edge technology or applied research
- Ability to learn new concepts and technologies quickly, you are a polyglot
- Experience maintaining native library for React Native
- Experience building libraries in Golang, for network and mobile environments
- Good communication skills (written and conversational)
- Strong alignment to our principles
Bonus points if:
- You are already familiar with the Ethereum community
- You have experience with go-libp2p or other libp2p implementations
- You have experience with C-Bindings & Cgo
- You are in Web3 or blockchain development
- You have experience working for an open source organization
- You have experience working async
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role. Just explain to us why in your cover letter].
- Intro call with our People Ops team
- Interview with member of the Waku team
- Pair programming session with member of the Waku team
- Interview with Program Lead
The expected compensation range for this role is $65,000 - $80,000 (negotiable, dependent on how we assess your skills and experience throughout our interview process. We are happy to pay in any mix of fiat/crypto).