Blockchain Infrastructure Engineer
Evmos is on a mission to develop and ship the foundational tools necessary for building the cross-chain applications of the future, freeing developers from the confines of today’s siloed blockchains. Our teams are building for a world where the next million Web3 users are simply regular users. Read our latest manifesto here.
Evmos opens a new frontier for blockchain applications, expanding the functionality of the EVM by enabling cross-chain applications that tap the liquidity and user bases of multiple blockchain ecosystems to provide more unified experiences.
This is an opportunity to join Evmos at a pivotal time on our growth journey. Having just raised $27m in funding from investors including Polychain Capital, Coinbase Ventures and Circle Ventures, Evmos is now poised to accelerate towards our goal of becoming the playground for Ethereum Apps in the Cosmos ecosystem.
About The Role:
As our Blockchain Infrastructure Engineer, you will play a vital role within our dedicated DevOps team, defining and implementing strategies to manage and optimise our infrastructure.
Your hands-on expertise will allow you to implement system infrastructure best practices and create essential guidelines for our developer community. You will also be tasked with constructing automated tools and workflows to bolster our validator community, node partners, and core engineering team.
This role is a perfect match for someone with solid experience in both DevOps and software development, looking to leverage their skills in a challenging yet rewarding environment.
As part of our team, you’ll have the unique opportunity to collaborate with other engineering teams and engage with projects within the wider ecosystem like IBC, Cosmos, and Tendermint Core teams.
What You Will Gain:
Engaging with us provides you with the unique opportunity to deepen your understanding of blockchain technologies. You will delve into the intricacies of smart contracts, utilizing EVM and go-ethereum (Geth), and learn to implement app chains using the Cosmos SDK framework and the Tendermint Consensus Engine.
Our team, pioneers in teaching the first university-level Blockchain for Developers course at UC Berkeley, are perfectly poised to guide you through this journey. In this role, you will further expand your professional expertise in cutting-edge blockchain technologies and its related fields, such as economics, mathematics, cryptography, and distributed systems.
This is not just a job, but an opportunity to grow, continually learn, and actively contribute to the exciting and rapidly evolving field of blockchain technology. Your existing skills will be valued and expanded upon, creating a trajectory for professional development that is as unique as it is rewarding.
- Manage the company’s validator node operations across various testnets and mainnets while adhering to internal SLAs and committed KPIs
- Coordinate client upgrades, hard forks, and emergency responses to failures
- Specify, procure, and set up the environment and infrastructure for validator nodes, including monitoring, logging, reporting, and alerting systems
- Design and implement procedures related to validator node operations, such as incident response, key management, change management
- Work closely with the business operations team to align technical operations with business goals
- Establish and refine processes to maximize the value derived from validator operations and minimize loss risks
- Provide training and guidance for other members of the infrastructure team, ensuring round-the-clock node operation
- Document and communicate technical details via open-source documentation
- Collaborate with various internal teams and the wider community to tap into new trends and opportunities highlighted by internal data, blockchain research, and the wider blockchain industry
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, both written and verbal
- Must be Europe-based - strong preference for Berlin-based candidates
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar role or as a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
- Solid expertise in at least one programming language
- In-depth knowledge of blockchain technology and smart contracts
- Experience in managing validator nodes across several testnets and mainnets
- Proven track record of specifying, procuring, and setting up environments and infrastructures for validator nodes
- Demonstrable experience with modern Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools
- Proven experience with writing and managing configuration manifests
- Expertise in designing and implementing processes related to validator node operations
- Strong understanding of SLAs and KPIs
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to coordinate hard forks and handle emergency responses to failures
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to document and convey technical details clearly
- Experience in training and guiding teams
- Proven history of contributions to open-source projects, excluding minor changes such as README file updates
- Understanding of Byzantine Fault Tolerance (BFT) and Proof of Stake (PoS) blockchains
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with managing and optimizing performance for bare-metal nodes
- Understanding of modern IT security trends
- Experience in automating routine tasks and processes
Although a formal CS degree is NOT strictly required, we are looking for someone with “computer science fundamentals” or relevant experience in the field. We’re looking for new teammates that have excellent communication and collaboration skills.