Distributed Systems Data Scientist
Status is an organization building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3. We have been completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 100+ core contributors strong and welcomes a growing number of community members from all walks of life, scattered all around the globe. We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has a minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization’s priorities.
A group of Status Contributors is also involved in a new community lead project, called Logos, and this particular role will enable you to also focus on this project. Logos is a grassroots movement to provide trust-minimized, corruption-resistant governing services and social institutions to underserved citizens.
Logos’ infrastructure will provide a base for the provisioning of the next-generation of governing services and social institutions - paving the way to economic opportunities for those who need them most, whilst respecting basic human rights through the network’s design. You can read more about Logos in this small handbook for mindful readers like yourself.
Who are we?
We are the Blockchain Infrastructure Team, and we are building the foundation used by other projects at the Status Network. We are researching consensus algorithms, Multi-Party Computation techniques, ZKPs and other cutting-edge solutions with the aim to take the blockchain technology to the next level of security, decentralization and scalability for a wide range of use cases. We are currently in a research phase, working with models and simulations. In the near future, we will start implementing the research. You will have the opportunity to participate in developing -and improving- the state of the art of blockchain technologies, as well as turning it into a reality
- Conduct tests and simulations around various peer-to-peer algorithms and protocols being developed.
- Collect, analyze, and report on data and key insights from said experiments
- Discern scaling boundaries and failure modes of tested distributed systems in realistic environments.
- Work with 3rd party vendors, tooling developers, and the broader community to establish best practices for testing the systems in question.
- Document findings to be consumed by both stakeholders and the general community.
You ideally will have
- Experience in, and passion for, blockchain technology and p2p systems.
- Linux (bash) / docker / some low-level programming language/git
- Rust / Nim / Golang / C / networking protocols / p2p systems
- A strong background in testing distributed systems and their common failure modes
- Strong communication and documentation skills when explaining results and key findings
- The ability to identify and mitigate false assumptions or weaknesses within a set of experiments or tests.
- Familiarity with the technical requirements and software involved with such testing
- Willingness to constantly learn and adapt to a rapidly changing industry
- A strong alignment to our principles
Bonus points if
- Comfortable working remotely and asynchronously
- Experience working for an open source organization.
- Experience in leading a team
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role. Just explain to us why in your cover letter].
We are happy to pay in either 100% fiat or any mix of fiat and/or crypto. For more information regarding benefits at Status see here.
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview with our People Ops team
- Interview with Corey (Logos Program Owner)
- Interview with Daniel (Engineering Lead)
- Interview with Jarrad (Cofounder)