Director of Software Engineering (web3 / blockchain focused)
Founded in November 2021 from Miami, CryptoLeague is an early-stage crypto/NFT Web3 company (at the intersection of NFTs, blockchain gaming, and crypto investing). We are a venture-backed web3 company with leading investors including Great Oaks VC, Gaingels, Magic Fund, Sidedoor Ventures, Darling Ventures, Boutique Capital, and Florida Funders.
CryptoLeague’s mission is to democratize access to investing by building a new category. CryptoLeague’s co-founders are Rodolfo Saccoman, Jeff Nuckols, and Gleb Chuvpilo. The founding team has previously founded and exited companies such as Authy, Ride, AdMobilize, and Pager to name a few.
At CryptoLeague, we believe that talent has no boundaries and no ceilings. We are building a company that promises to unlock the wisdom of crowds in accelerating financial freedom globally. We have a “one for all” and “all for one” DNA. CryptoLeague’s strength is manifested in bringing together the most talented, diverse, passionate, good-hearted, and “healthy ambitious” team members to join our thrilling journey. Our HQ is in Wynwood, Miami; possibly one of the upcoming “NFT capitals of the world.”
Apply to learn more about the opportunity to join CryptoLeague. Our journey has just begun and we are thrilled to find amazing human beings as part of our first 15 team members.
Summary of the role
We are seeking an experienced Director of Software Engineering who will build, grow, and lead a team of world class software engineers to deliver CryptoLeague’s disruptive vision. Your mission will be to plan, implement, and oversee software engineering strategies, procedures, and goals for CryptoLeague.
You will be responsible for building, mentoring, and managing a world class software engineering team to handle the demands of exponential growth. You will also work with product leadership, playing an active role in product roadmap planning and the development of quarterly implementation plans.
In this role, you’ll bring deep crypto domain expertise, leadership skills, technical expertise, and proven people development skills to bear on strategic decisions about our technical ecosystem, product roadmap, and engineering culture. You will ensure that design requirements are met, and the user experience delights our customers, as well as oversee quality assurance functions for those teams. If you love the challenge of a fast-paced start-up environment, this could be the role for you.
This is a rare opportunity to guide the direction of a disruptive crypto company pushing the boundaries of blockchain-enabled business models, with a potentially significant ownership stake for the right individual. Join us to help democratize the future of crypto investing while making it fun!
- If you are obsessed with DAO’s, this is the adventure for you.
- If you are a gamer, this is the adventure for you.
- If you are an NFT collector/trader, this is the adventure for you.
- If you are a cryptocurrency investor, this is the adventure for you.
What you will do
- Define and maintain the technical definition of CryptoLeague’s software and blockchain stack including front-end, back-end, smart contracts, & blockchain protocol layers. Identify optimal technologies for the implementation of each component and connections between the components.
- Partner with product and design leads to ensure we balance product aspirations with engineering realities, tracking useful tech specifications, and maintaining appropriate user stories. Build upon, deliver and maintain technology aligned with the business vision and the needs of our customers.
- Enable and drive strategic software engineering decisions, guiding decisions from a deep understanding of crypto technology infrastructure.
- Be accountable for every aspect of software engineering: Back-end, Front-end, Smart Contracts, DevOps, DApps, mobile, etc.
- Build and lead an incredible team of Web3 software engineers, contributing to engineering efforts while demonstrating total ownership of projects, cycles, and programs. Provide the engineering team with the processes, management, mentorship, and tools to design and develop mission-critical engineering solutions. Foster a team environment that promotes creative thinking, practical problem-solving, effective teamwork, and collaboration.
- Stay up-to-date on development within the crypto industry and maintain deep understanding of existing and upcoming blockchain protocols and crypto-assets especially around emerging ecosystem trends and products. Become a domain expert on blockchain and crypto-asset protocols.
- Close the gap between technical and non-technical stakeholders - explaining technical concepts to non-technical folks and translating business-oriented and strategic plans to technical folks - to ensure that everyone is aligned around the value we are creating for our users.
- Develop and implement a governance process and metrics for monitoring of existing and new blockchain solutions.
- Be a steadfast advocate for clean and scalable coding principles and high-performance, secure, reliable software services.
- Ensure the team implements and adheres to security best practices.
- Grow the technical expertise of the company as it relates to performance, scalability, and maintainable infrastructure. Be a steadfast advocate for clean and scalable coding principles and high-performance, secure, reliable software services.
- Ensure our practices (e.g. CI/CD, code reviews, QA technology, etc) are ready for scaling and constantly evaluate the tech stack for our evolving business needs.
- Analyze and organize complex information from a variety of data sources to effectively communicate actionable insights and recommendations to the blockchain analytical team, executives, product management & engineering leadership.
- Occasional travel required (10% to 20%).
Ideal skill set and education
- 10+ years of total software engineering experience and a history of high-quality execution.
- 6+ years hands-on experience in design, development, testing and operational support of Java, J2EE, JMS, Rest or SOAP, SQL or NoSQL, JSON, XML based applications.
- Successful track record building, leading, and scaling engineering teams.
- Knowledge of how to write and deploy code to EVM-compatible networks.
- You have a strong product sense, and have delivered user-facing products through rapid iteration where requirements are uncertain or changing.
- You have extensive experience working alongside product managers in an agile manner to ensure the reliable planning, estimation and prioritization of new product features, in addition to the active management of a backlog, and customer reported issues. You know how to empower the engineering team to achieve their goals in a cross functional and timely sprint process.
- Experienced at organizing agile software teams to deliver high-quality software.
- You have embedded yourself in the blockchain and crypto ecosystems and are a thought leader in the evolution of consumer-facing crypto products.
- You have a working knowledge of modern cryptographic primitives (asymmetric encryption, secure hashing) and know best practices for key management and deployment.
- You have a track record of delivering complex technical systems that were easy for others to maintain and use, through thoughtful structure and naming, standard design patterns, and approachable documentation.
- You are a lifelong learner and passionate about learning new things and taking on new challenges. You are comfortable trying out new tools, failing fast, and navigating unknowns.
- You are an enthusiastic practitioner of light-weight, agile project management.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or Engineering preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with high EQ.
- You thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment and are able to manage through chaos, and re-prioritize work when necessary.