Metaverse Game Economist
About Outlier Ventures
Outlier Ventures is a dedicated Web 3 accelerator founded in 2014 that works with startups at various stages of their lifecycle from pre-seed / seed (via Base Camp) to later stage about to launch (or live) token networks specialising in a New Data Economy, NFTs, and DeFi bringing together a network of 1,000 of the world’s leading web 3 founders, protocols, VCs to mentor, and invest.
About the role
Outlier Ventures is seeking a Metaverse Game Economist to help its growing portfolio of Web3 startups design and model gamified systems and economies.
You will oversee the end-to-end execution of game economy designs from start to finish, leveraging in-house specialists and network of partners.
As part of the Token Economies team, you will build on the several years of experience Outlier has developed in token design and token engineering, working with cutting edge DeFi and metaverse projects and evolving research in engineering games economies.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Assist portfolio companies in designing their metaverse economy from concept to implementation and work with in-house token designers to apply token mechanics and their interactions.
- Apply game theory models to analyze economic outcomes.
- Develop the Outlier framework and tool stack for designing and modeling metaverse economies and conduct simulations and case studies.
- Monitor and analyze portfolio companies and their on-chain data to validate/recalibrate system design decisions and parameters.
- Research complex design models of DeFi protocols and metaverse games.
- Collaborate with in-house DAO strategists to explore decentralized governance models and simulations and provide guidance on designing protocol/gaming policies.
- Engage in the firm’s public speaking, research, and education initiatives.
We are looking for someone who:
- Is knowledgeable about crypto, DeFi, financial principles and gaming fundamentals in web3.
- Has an excellent understanding of complex game system designs and economies.
- Ideally has experience in quantitative and behavioral economics.
- Has a passion for games and in-game economies, ideally having worked on games and/or actively played web3/metaverse games.
- Be able to comfortably handle fast paced, multi-stakeholder projects, keeping founders and their partners to schedule and hands-on support in executing with diligence and pragmatism.
Nice to have:
- Strong skills in developing models and simulating gaming and/or economical models
- Has experience with performing various numerical and statistical simulations
- Has experience working with python, R or other similar languages and/or game economy tools
Package is subject to relevant experience. It will bias towards performance related bonuses, including the opportunity to invest directly into token projects on the same terms as the Outlier Ventures partnership.
What we can offer you*
- Exposure to some of the most exciting businesses in the web 3.0 and blockchain space.
- The ability to work with a broad variety of stakeholders around the world.
- Full autonomy in your role and the opportunity to explore any areas of interest should it meet the vision of the business.
- Private medical insurance.
- Discretionary bonus scheme.
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Opportunity to invest directly into token projects on the same terms as the Outlier Ventures partnership
*Availability subject to specific circumstances.